Revival of Sasur Khaderi -2 Rivulet and its Origin Thithora Lake in Distt. Fatehpur, U.P.
Name of the Initiative
Revival of Sasur Khaderi -2 Rivulet and its Origin Thithora Lake in Distt. Fatehpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Ms Kanchan Verma, Special Secretary, Government of UP
- Mr. Harish Chandra, District Development Officer
- Mr. Kaptan Singh, Executive Engineer
- Mr. Arvind Kumar, Executive Engineer
Project in Brief
The 38 kilometers stretch of 46 kilometers long river Sasur Khaderi – 2 and its origin Thithora Lake in district Fatehpur were recreated and rejuvenated under MNREGS generating 2,04,900 man-days of employment in record 45 days and the twin dead water bodies were brought back to life.
The initiative sought to tackle acute water crisis in dry season and problem of water logging during rains by way of revival, restoration and rejuvenation of the rivulet. It recreated water storage capacity in an area of 7.377 hectare and also improved ground water recharge together with flood mitigation during rains. At the same time it aims at preventing the soil from turning sodic and infertile.
- Meticulous planning
- Convergence approach
- Qunet Model
- Making it a People’s project
- Maximizing the output
- Care for the labour
- Close monitoring
- Hydraulic parameters: Post Initiative discharge on July 16, 2013 was measured as 689.95 cusecs compared to almost nil in the previous years. Similarly dead storage in the lake on June 15, 2013 was measured approximately 15000 cum.
- Employment generation: 2,04,900 person-days generated in 45 days raising the district average from 30 to 90 man-days per year.
- Mitigation of floods and water logging: No water logging occurred in catchment areas of the water bodies in heavy rainfall of 2013 which was a common feature in previous years in similar situations.
- Improvement in environment: Plantation done on lake boundary and rivulet banks will add to the environmental quotient of the area. Soil will be saved from turning sodic and infertile due to water logging. Lake site will provide a habitat for diverse flora and fauna and a destination for migratory birds.
Presentation on Revival of Sasur Khaderi-2 Rivulet and its Origin Thithora Lake in Distt. Fatehpur, Uttar Pradesh